Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 4 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!

Hello dear readers! Had a oh my goodness moment--nearly forgot to post the cookies for today! These are my dad 's favorite from when he was a kid--

Raisin Surprises (Filled Cookies)

3 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sifted brown sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup milk

Sift flour once, measure; add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Cream butter thoroughly, add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; then add flour alternately with milk, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth.  Chill until firm enough to toll. Roll 1/4 inch thick on a slightly floured board. Cut with 2 1/2 inch cooky cutter. Place 1 teaspoon Raisin filling on a circle and place another circle on top, pressing edges together. Bake in a hot oven (425*) 6-8 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies. 

Raisin Filling

3 cups raisins, chopped
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup boiling water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1Tablespoon butter

Cook raisins, sugar and water 6 to 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from fire (tells you how old this recipe is!!); add lemon juice and butter. 

Figs or dates may be substituted for raisins. 

Dad said these are cookies that his mom would make every year for him. I think I may have to give them a whirl myself! LOL Going thru my mom's recipe box, I always know which recipes came from my paternal Grandmother--they are all on unlined index cards and typed! I don't think I could ever part with this recipe in particular, just for that reason! 

Another one of Dad's favorites, also typed on a plain index card! are holly hermits. I remember my mom and I making a special batch just for him every year! I just realized, by doing this everyday, I am getting to share my Christmas memories with all of you! And that makes me very happy, and in a way, makes you part of my family as well, specially if you end up using one or more! of these recipes!!


Holly Hermits

1/2 cup shortening (although I am sure you could sub butter--or even lard??)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups sifted enriched flour
1/2 teaspoon soda (baking)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruits and peels
1/2 cup seedless raisins, dark or light
1/2 cup broken walnuts

Cream together shortening and brown sugar. Add egg and water; beat well. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in fruits and peels, raisins and nuts. Drop from teaspoons 2 inches apart on lightly greased cooky sheet. Bake in moderate oven (375*) about 10 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pan. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.


These are today's cookies and memories. Enjoy and I will be back tomorrow earlier, I promise!! And have a wonderful time baking and creating your own memories for tomorrow!

Till then, 

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your cookie recipes, Karen. You can never have too many!

    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete