Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 5 of the 12 days of Christmas Cookies!!

Hello again dear reader! Today I rummaged thru the recipe box again and found some more family favorites! This one was one of my very favorites! Dainty Date Squares! Light, airy, and oh so truly dainty! My grandmother would store them in coffee tins and they would take on the slightest flavor of coffee and I always felt so grown up when I was able to have them. Made me feel like I needed a doily on  my plate and I should be wearing white gloves!

Dainty Date Squares

1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon double action baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Confectioners sugar

Sift flour, measure, and re sift 3 times with baking powder and salt. Cream the shortening and sugar together, add beaten egg and beat well. Add flour mixture in 3 portions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in chopped dates and walnuts. Turn mixture into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake in a slow moderate oven (325*) for about 50 minutes. Cool, then cut into 1 inch squares and roll in confectioners sugar. Makes about 64 dainty squares

I am going to have to make this a short post tonight as we have a broken heart in the house! I will write more tomorrow--have a wonderful night and happy baking!!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment